Welcome to Work from Home Wage!
This site is new, but I am not new to working from home. You can learn more about me and my own work from home journey by visiting my About page.
I am just now starting to add some articles to the site but expect many more to come. The work from home field has changed a lot over the last few years so I plan to keep this site updated often.
Jobs allowing you to work from home are growing in popularity because of their convenience, but starting in 2011 they were also growing in popularity because of the bad economy. People who have been laid off or have just become disillusioned with the instability of certain job markets have turned to the internet looking for online careers or freelance jobs.
Whether this flux of people in the at home job market is good or bad overall I can’t quite say. I know that competition for certain jobs has become quite tough. On the other side, new people bring new ideas and maybe we will see a growth in telecommuting and freelancing that will benefit everyone.
What Kind of Online Jobs are Available?
There is an online job for almost every skill set out there. Do you like writing? There’s a job for that. Taking surveys? There’s a job for that too. Some of the most popular work from home jobs include:
• Freelance Writing: Companies are always looking for writers to write content for everything from blogs to official websites. Freelance writing is usually done without contracts, so you won’t have to commit to anything long term. As long as you know how to write, you can earn money!
• Survey Taking: Companies are always looking for ways to get to know their customers. One of the best ways they can do this is through surveys. Surveys allow companies to see what the public wants so that they can plan their business strategy around it, and they’re willing to pay good money to get that information. As with freelance writing, surveys are done without any kind of contract, so you won’t have to make a large commitment if you only need some fast cash.
• Web Designing: While this job requires a little bit more training, web designing can be a great field if you’re looking for a creative job. Web design is a growing field with plenty of opportunities for expansion. Web designers can design websites, logos, re-code already existing websites for optimum efficiency, etc).
• Telemarketing: While most telemarketing jobs are done from an office, there are plenty that can be done from home as well. Companies will often train employees and supply them with call lists for their convenience. All you need is a phone!
• Virtual Assistants: Virtual assistants provide customer service, recruiting, sales, technical writing, and scheduling for an array of clients.
• Online Transcriptionists: Transcriptionists are typically independent workers who work with different online companies transcribing and editing recorded reports from their home computer.
What to be Aware of When Looking for an Online Job
While there are many online jobs available for you, there are also many websites trying to make you believe that there are more than there actually are. Be aware of websites that promise quick and easy jobs, and be sure to check the site is legitimate before you pay for any services or sign up with them.
How to Start Working from Home
Begin searching online for jobs. Search first for the kind of job you want to do. If you need a little extra cash, try a survey job. If you’re looking for something more substantial, try contacting different companies to see if they are interested in agents working from home. Some work from home these jobs cover certain territories, such as insurance or customer service jobs, so make sure you are applying for the right territory.
There are several different methods for receiving payment for work at home jobs. Some companies will pay by the hour, but since it is hard for companies to tell exactly how long a work at home employee has worked, they will often pay based on commission. For example, freelance writers receive money based on the amount of work they’ve completed, not how long they’ve spent on it.
Receiving the actual payment differs from company to company. In many cases, you can set up an online account through sites such as PayPal. Your employer will deposit the money into your online PayPal account where you will be able to access it directly from your computer and deposit into your private bank account.
Advice for those Looking to Work from Home
Be flexible. Work from home jobs are all about flexibility. While you aren’t required to be in an office working specific hours, you will be required to meet deadlines and get work done in a timely manner. Also, make sure that you are qualified for the job you are applying for. Just because you’re not in an office doesn’t mean that this isn’t an actual job that requires your full attention.
How to Avoid Scams When Looking for Work at Home Jobs
• Do your research. There are hundreds of sites offering what seem to be the perfect job, but in the end all they are offering are scams.
• Beware of sites which require money up front and promise job later. Never give a company more information than you have to, especially when it involves your, personal information, money, or your bank account.
• Check to make sure that the site you are working with is credible and has good reviews. Googling the website can be an effective method in weeding out scammers. If you want to take your research one step further, try googling “(company name) scam.” Doing this can tip you off to dishonest companies immediately.
• Ask people you know who have worked from home which sites they recommend. They can be a valuable asset in picking just the right job for you.
• Is there contact information? You can often tell just how credible a website is by how easy it is to contact them directly. For obvious reasons, companies who scam their employees do not want to be contacted, so a lack of information is a big red flag.
• There is no such thing as getting rich quick. Companies that promise huge payouts immediately after beginning work are often just looking to get into your wallet.
Working from home can be the perfect solution to those who are looking for flexible work on their terms. As long as you are careful about the companies you get involved with, it can be the perfect solution to those looking for a little extra cash or those who simply want the freedom and convenience of working in their pajamas!